Tuesday, November 2, 2010

AIB student Megan Calmer exceeds service requirements with Children's Cancer Connection



Megan Calmer, a student at AIB College of Business in Des Moines, started volunteering with Children’s Cancer Connection to fulfill service requirements for the college. After her time requirement had been met, she continued to come back and make a difference in whatever way she could.
“Every time I see a smile on one of the kid’s faces, I feel like I am making a difference,” Calmer said. “I see how appreciative all the families are that they have Children’s Cancer Connection, where their kids can be kids and get the support they need.”

Calmer is inspired by the lively spirits of the children who have been touched by cancer. “Every time I am around the children, I realize that it is all the little things in life that make is so wonderful,” she said.

Following her college graduation, Calmer would like to enter the non-profit sector to continue making a difference in the lives of others.

“The first time I volunteered [at Children’s Cancer Connection] was during my second term at college and I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life,” Calmer said. “Volunteering at Children's Cancer Connection has inspired me to go into non-profit after college.”

No comments:

Post a Comment